Monday, November 3, 2008

October 31, 2008: The Official Release of the Street Animation Guide

Dear Friend,

I felt quite a bit better this morning when I woke up. I had to be at the National Theatre by ten o’clock, so I had plenty of time to get ready and head over. I managed to be the first person there, Cristina and Radu (Cristina’s boyfriend and Maria’s brother) showed up soon after. The ceremony happened to take place in the room right across from the one I have my movement classes in.

The first couple of hours were for set up. I didn’t do much, just moved a couple of chairs. The others knew much more about what they wanted, so I just sat off to the side, knowing they’d let me know if they needed help with anything. Once everything was set up, the real waiting began. I didn’t know when the actual ceremony would begin. While we waited, Ana, Alina, and Andreea occupied their time with doing some poi-poi. Poi-poi are two little sewn up sacks of rice connected to long strings which people swing around in creative patterns. It’s a form of street animation. The three girls are really good, as are most of the other A.R.T. Fusion volunteers. Ana lent me hers and I fumbled around with them for awhile until I was able to sustain a pattern for maybe half a minute. They’re a lot of fun to play with, but they really tire out work your arms and shoulders. The trick is to be able to swing them both in a pattern without getting them tangled up in each other. The other trick is also to make sure you don’t hit any unsuspecting bystander. Luckily, I managed to avoid the latter, if not entirely fulfill the former.

The ceremony was, unfortunately, a bust. Only four people other than those already present showed up. The overall energy of the place was very low, which was truly unfortunate, as A.R.T. Fusion had worked really hard to compile and print the guide. The cover, I felt, was quite appropriate for today. It had some sketches of street animators dressed up in costumes and performing against an orange and black background. It went right along with its official release on the day of Halloween.

After the ceremony was over and everything had been put back where it was taken from, Carmen requested that I lead those remaining in a rousing game of “Boom-Chicka-Boom.” It never fails that this game becomes a fan favorite. Carmen couldn’t even get through the game, she was laughing so hard. As I was still getting over my cold, the game helped to energize me for the flash-mob that followed.

We walked a ways away from the National Theatre to another crowded area to perform the flash-mob. It was a repeat of the one we did in Cluj, only this time there were less people freezing. Also, the roster of those wearing the T-shirts with letters changed a bit, as some original members couldn’t make it. The overall execution, though, was the same. The whistle blew, we ran around like crazy for awhile, then lined up in order to spell the word “voluntar” (volunteer.) We then broke up and ran around again, then formed the word again, then ran around again, formed the word, ran around, and formed the word. No policemen came to break up what we were doing (probably because there were very few people who had suddenly frozen in place and caused a stir) so we ended up doing the full three minute flash-mob.

After the whole ordeal was over, I returned to Diana’s flat and went back to resting up. It was good to be outside for awhile. The weather is very un-autumn, though the leaves are turning colors and falling. The sun was shining and warm enough that I was able to feel comfortable without wearing my jacket. Despite the warm weather, though, I was still bummed out about the ceremony. The turn-out was almost embarrassing. Apparently, Carmen had received a number of requests for a copy of the guide, but very few of these people were willing to show up and support A.R.T. Fusion in person. It was a very well done guide and it deserved a lot more attention on its day of christening, as it were, than it received. That is, however, the way things usually go for an organization of volunteers.

Blessings.
Kailen

No comments: