Friday, November 21, 2008

November 19, 2008: Curriculum Done and Third Interview

Dear Friend,

It’s done! I finished the curriculum today and I couldn’t be happier. Granted, it’s still in a very rough stage, but the people who will work on it after me will now have quite a bit to work with. I’ve done my part, now I’m passing the torch. In doing so, I’ve discovered how difficult it is to write a curriculum on your own. This led me to believe that collaboration made a lot of sense, especially as I didn’t know one thing about writing the darn thing. I essentially wrote a fourth Augusto Boal paper and tacked on a bunch of theatre games I knew. Organizing what I’ve written into a structured class syllabus, or whatever system Romanian high schools use, had to go to someone else, someone who certainly would know more about it than me. Just as in theatre, everyone contributes his or her knowledge and experience to form something great. Collaboration.

As I was proof-reading and rewriting the forum theatre history segment (my fourth Boal paper) I suddenly realized that I had experienced catharsis the way Boal writes about. Yes, I’ve obviously experienced catharsis before, but Boal emphasizes how catharsis essentially neutralizes the spectator by cleansing the spectator of negative emotions, antiestablishment emotions that could start the “revolution.” Before I had this catharsis, I wasn’t necessarily going to picket on Washington Avenue or anything, but I was certainly and unexpectedly neutralized by it. I discuss this experience more in a separate entry entitled "Amadeus – A Cathartic Experience." I figure this discovery requires further explanation, but not here.

I interviewed Vali tonight. I was glad to see him after our rather impersonal confrontation (we hadn’t and still haven’t discussed anything in person, though I think it’s no longer necessary.) The interview went by rather quickly, he was able to think of answers right away. In general, Vali explained that he does forum theatre not only to volunteer but also to improve his acting skills. He’s been able to find ways to use his training onstage during a forum theatre piece. He also explained that being a part of A.R.T. Fusion has taught him how to work better with people and how to be more patient with his fellow volunteers. He understands that not all the volunteers are as trained as he is and that he needs to allow them to grow and discover just as he was allowed.

Tomorrow is it. My internship will end. It hasn’t quite sunk in yet. I still have some interviews to conduct and Maria wants me to give the spiel I gave about forum theatre at the workshop last Sunday for the volunteers. Tomorrow night some of the volunteers will show up for my goodbye party, as most of them won’t be around when I get back from Slovakia. This is when Maria wants me to “rally the troops,” as it were, because she thought I did a good job at explaining the reasons for forum theatre last Sunday. I just hope I don’t yack their ears off the entire party. I talk (and write) way too much.

Blessings.
Kailen

No comments: